Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Our home in Tucson





































We moved to Tucson in 1998 from Tampa, Fl. Quite a change for us, coming from hot and humid, to really hot and dry. Also a dramatic change for me, as I grew up in Wisconsin amid forests and rolling farmland. The desert southwest was at first impression a drab, barren sight.
I think that is because when you live in a wooded area, you can't see any farther than the first tree line. So your brain is trained to look only that far. If you do that in the desert southwest, you're not going to be impressed with the sand and scrub cactus immediately in front of you.
In time, you adjust to the wide open spaces and begin seeing the desert in it's expanse, taking in the sand, cactus, mountains, trees and unending sky in one breathtaking view.
As you may surmise from the pictures, we don't have a "personal style". If we like something, it goes in the house. Our stuff is pretty eclectic and I think if you mix enough different things together, at some point they blend.
We're not afraid of color either. Peggy has the eye of artist (she won't admit it but she's a fine artist), so if she suggests a color, I'm going to go with it. If it were up to me, I'm afraid my color pallet would be white and beige.
























No comments: