Thursday, April 16, 2009

Back in action

After finally beating the unnamed, undiagnosed illness, I'm back in the shop again.

I have a couple of new toys to play with now. I bought a 12 1/2" Delta Planer, which makes a huge
difference in the quality of fit, ring to ring. It also saves a lot of time, as I don't have to spend hours
running the individual rings through my home made drum sander. A couple of high speed passes
through the planer's blades does the trick.

I also replaced my tired old table saw. When I began my search for a new saw, I really wanted to buy a belt driven saw, because they are much quieter and smoother cutting. However, their cost is prohibitive. Most prices start at $500+ and go up from there.

So I had to look at saws that had the blade mounted directly on the motor. As I researched saws, I could see that many were simply a repackaged version of my old saw. I found one at Sears that seemed to have a lot of features such as extendable wings that allow for large panels to be handled and a quick release system for removing the blade guard. The price was in line with what I had budgeted, so that is the model I bought.

After I got it home and out of the box, I quickly discovered that while the features were good, the engineering was terrible. When I put the blade on the motor, it rubbed on the motor mount. Not good. I had to find a spacer to move the blade away from the motor mount. That meant that the blade guard/riving knife were no longer in alignment with the blade. So that had to be adjusted with spacers. The blade wouldn't adjust to a true 90 degrees, so I had to modify the motor mount. It was also out of square with the table top.

After spending the better part of two days re-engineering the saw, I finally achieved reasonable accuracy. It still needs some tweaking, but overall it now works fine.

Nothing like high quality Chinese engineering. Makes one wonder how anything in their country works.

No comments: